Parents and Families > Parent FAQs About e-Child Care

What is e-Child Care?

The E-Child Care or ECC is the way the Division of Family Development (DFD) receives information from parents about whether or not a child whose care is paid for with a subsidy is attending child care. Attendance reporting has been suspended through June 30, 2022.

How does ECC work?

Parents/designees receive a Families First swipe card. When you use your card on either the provider's POS device or the provider's telephone, the child's arrival or departure from care is automatically recorded.

Who uses a POS device, and who uses the phone?

Licensed child care centers that have more than five children who are receiving a child care subsidy are given POS devices. Child Care homes and centers serving five or fewer children receiving a subsidy will use the IVR telephone reporting system.

Do I have to use the ECC system?

Yes. The state will only pay providers for care that was recorded in ECC.

What happens if I don't swipe or call-in to record my child's attendance?

You can catch up on missing days by using the "back swipe" feature, which allows for "Previous Check-In" and "Previous Check-out" transactions.

The back swipe period is the time period that includes the current day of service plus the previous 13 days. This is the period when all transactions, including check ins, check outs, voids and absences must be recorded for payment to be made.

Can other people drop off or pick up my child?

Yes. Families can get up to two additional cards for people who are authorized by the parent to drop off or pick up their children from child care. Your designee should contact the Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R) to register for a card. Cards for them will be mailed to you.

How do I get cards?

Your card will be mailed to you along with an information sheet. Once you give your designee (s) a card, they should contact your CCR&R to have their card activated.

Parents who already have a Families First card will be able to use their existing card to access child care benefits.

I have children at different providers. Do I need more than one card?

No. The card will work at any provider location where a child is receiving child care services.

Can I give my card to my provider and let them do this reporting for me?

No. Giving your card to your child care provider is a misuse of the card. It can result in termination from the program.

What if I do not report attendance or absence within 14 days?

You may be responsible for paying your provider.

How do I report absences for my child?

But remember, only absences and sick days can be called in from any phone. All other transactions must occur on the phone where care is being provided.

What if I need help?

If ECC says that your child isn't eligible, talk to your CCR&R representative.